EWS For Waste
Waste water is a growing problem as industry, agriculture and communities expand, droughts force the need for reclamation, and aquifers and reservoirs become polluted. Meanwhile, previously lightly-regulated regions of the world are enforcing much stricter environmental regulations.
Better water treatment technology can solve these challenges.
Our mission is water clarity. We do the heavy lifting at the beginning of the process, making filters and membranes in the rest of the system last much longer, because they won’t clog up as fast. We do this by efficiently removing most of the oils and solids that are suspended in waste water, and destroying much of the bacteria.
OriginOil’s breakthrough water cleanup technology, called Electro Water Separation™ (EWS), is a high-speed, primarily chemical free process that efficiently extracts organic contaminants from very large quantities of water.
EWS targets the one to twenty-five micron size oil droplets and suspended particles for coagulation and flotation. Other technologies are less effective at removing these small particles.
EWS works in two stages:
- Stage 1- Electro-Coagulation: contaminated water enters the first stage, which is a proprietary electro-coagulation process. In this stage, mild electrical impulses are applied in long tubes, causing the organic contaminants to coagulate, or “clump” together.
- Stage 2 – Electro-Flotation: the coagulated material travels into a second stage where low power electrical pulses generate a cloud of micro-bubbles that gently lifts the waste mat to the surface for harvesting.
In synergy, these stages also electrically oxidize the water, which is effective in removing pathogens such as bacteria.
Our process effluents are:
- Clarified water that filters and membranes can treat for dissolved solids and other invisible contaminants.
- Concentrated waste that can be economically turned into energy, for example.
Accessing Our Technology
If you have existing processes for waste water treatment, consider integrating EWS into your systems to make them more efficient and scalable. We will license our technology to you under private label. Simply click on the banner at the bottom of this page.
If you want to deploy a system now for you or your customers, consider our upcoming product line, OriginClear™ Waste, which integrates our technology into a complete system that we support directly or through our distribution partners.
In either case, you will receive the constant benefits of OriginOil innovation as we continue to solve the biggest challenge of our time: clean water.
Test Results and Benefits
- Up to a 99.9% reduction in free oil and other organic chemicals
- Up to a 99.5% reduction in suspended solids.
- Up to a 98% reduction of bacteria levels.
- Improved regulatory compliance.
- Reduction of wastewater treatment fees.
- Increased efficiency in removals of downstream dissolved solids.
- Reduced footprint compared with settling tanks, gravity separators or biological treatment basins.
- Ennesys successfully implemented a prototype EWS Waste system to process liquid human waste sewage into nutritious water for growing algae in its integrated sustainable energy system in Paris, France.
- "The current large scale high capital cost plants will face a challenge from OriginOil’s ‘black box’ approach, so different from the traditional one of large-scale single site models." - Tom Hintz, Managing Partner, SeaHold